Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sandra Guadenzi updates on installation i-doc: “6 billion others” .:. Interactive Documentary

"I just went to Brussels and I was lucky enough to get there on the last day of the exhibition of “6 billions others” – by  Yann Arthus-Bertrand (see my comments on the whole project  in my archive).

The project has been going around the globe since 2008, both as a website and as a moving exhibition (not to mention the book, the DVD, the poster, the postcards and all the relevant merchandising). I have played with the website a lot of times, but I had not seen the exhibition yet… so I was very excited to catch it in Brussels…

The archive of footage is indeed mind blowing. And the fact of watching faces coming from the whole world, speaking to you about  personal things, is really touching. Interviews have been devised by themes (family, war, women, fear, happiness, religion etc…) and each theme is projected in a hut (or in Brussels’ case there were lots of small rooms). As a result one browses through a gigantic space, coming in and out from viewing rooms, and moving from a woman speaking about death in an Indian village to a man speaking about love in Canada. If some times the experience is a little too “easy” (is it enough to cut back to back people just sharing a topic?)… I have to admit that the justaposition of themes and people can create some interesting contrasts...."

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: