Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

!!!! Guillermo del Toro Gives ‘inSANE’ Update, Describes Sandbox-Style Game » via MTV Multiplayer

Media_httpmtvmtvnimag_kpypc

Excerpt:

""We've been working for a year. We have two or three more years to go. It's huge. I'm learning a lot. I'm going in with a really, really modest 'I'm learning' approach. I'm a huge gamer but going into constructing it, you have to be respectful of the medium. I'm learning a lot. Talking about the storyline for weeks. We've been designing the creatures, which are obscenely fun and unique. You haven't seen them ever."

As for the format of the game, del Toro indicated that it would be set in a large, sandbox-style world. This fits with some of Volition's past releases, like "Red Faction Guerrilla" and "Saints Row." "We had to build a sandbox, so we designed all the archetecture already," he explained. "We're developing in Champaign, Illinois, so it's a very short trip from Toronto, so I don't have much weekends. My life is pretty much 24/7 work, but we're giving it the proper attention. We've spent an inordinate amount of time into that project. It's because it's worth it, I think. You learn more, as a narrator, for this medium, than I ever expected."

Del Toro closed out our interview by confirming the tone of the game:

"It's Lovecraftian, it's really weird, but it's Lovecraftian in a very sick way, which I like. It's truely, truely entertaining. Full of action, but also a very shocking game. And Guy Davis and Francisco [Ruis Velasco]. Guy Davis, to me, is one of the best monster designers alive right now."

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: