Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

Love | What The Rise Of Depeche Mode Teaches You About The Rise Of Digital Design

Media_httpwwwfastcode_hdfsz

Excerpt from an original post on: Co.Design: business + innovation + design

"JUST AS SYNTH POP FACED AN UPHILL BATTLE IN THE 1980S, DIGITAL DESIGN WENT THROUGH PRECISE PHASES OF NEGLECT, ACCEPTANCE, AND DOMINANCE, ARGUES HUGE’S JOE STEWART.

As a designer, your whole life is better when you’re inspired. I’m in a constant battle to stay inspired, and one of the ways I do this is to watch a lot of documentaries. I keep a collection of films on my laptop and watch them whenever I’m flying for work. I’ve seen Helvetica about 50 times. One of my new favorites is Synth Britannia, a BBC production about the origin and development of synth pop in the ’70s and ’80s. A musician recommended it to me, but the immediate thing I noticed was the parallels between this era of music and the current state of design. I have been inspired by the stories of these pioneers, and I think the design community can find value in them, too.

The story of British synth pop is essentially the story of a rebellion against the status quo fueled by the accessibility of new technology. Early groups like Depeche Mode, Human League, Gary Numan, and OMD all had to invent their own genre and even their instruments as they went along. They set out to do..."

read more here:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669974/what-the-rise-of-depeche-mode-teaches-you...

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: